Monday, October 3, 2011

Busy Living & Animals for Africa Is Born

So, it's been six months, one-half year, since I posted to this blog.  I've been busy living.  Really!

In May, I traveled to Malawi, Africa with VoiceFlame Writers International voiceflamewriters.org.  We wrote with women, led an afternoon of writing with around 400 secondary school girls in Tukumbo and did much more.  The leaders of VFWI trained Malawi women to lead their own writing groups using the Amherst Writers & Artists method  www.amherstwriters.com.

In June, I took the handwritten words from 400 young women from Tukumbo Girls Secondary School into a document to celebrate their voices!

In July, there was a trip east to help my son move from Knoxville, TN to the eastern shore of Maryland where he will be pursuing graduate studies.

At the beginning of August, I returned to Peru for the wedding of my daughter and the trek to Machu Picchu.  At the end of August, I went off the grid at Channel Rock, 140 acres of coastal retreat and conservancy, www.channelrock.ca on Cortes Island, B.C., Canada.

In Seattle, during the sunny months, we have more visitors than we ever had in North Dakota.  Many take cruises from Seattle to Alaska.  When they're in Seattle I love joining them as they explore Rainier Mountain, Snoqualmie Falls, taking a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island, Pike Place Market, the Seattle Center, Lake Union, Ride the Ducks....  Makes me feel like I'm on vacation.

In September, I started a new teaching position as a preschool teacher in a community college parent cooperative preschool.  Great fun and work!

It is October.  The days are growing shorter and cooler. The squirrels are gathering their nuts.  I am ready to write the rhythms of my life, to harvest the stories that have been growing-stories to warm as the days grow colder.

Today the most exciting story is the birth announcement of Animals for Africa www.animalsforafrica.org, the soul child of Robbyn Alexander, a woman who I traveled to Malawi with.  Hand-made animals, "tangible gifts of love" and monetary donations support a child's village or orphanage to provide for basic needs of food clothing and shelter.


This year has been abundantly full.  I am grateful for the people and places that have touched my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment