Monday, April 18, 2011

Breathe!

Bella mattina! In June, 2010, I took this photo of Lake Como  looking out the bedroom window of Italy's historic Menaggio Castello Panoramica after a cup of coffee in bed.  My family was celebrating the last of our three children's college graduations which started with a visit to Lausanne, Switzerland where our oldest daughter and her husband live.  Six of us squished into a five passenger car to drive from Switzerland to Menaggio.  The sights, tastes and time together as a family was breathtaking and giving.

It seems I've been on a trip for fifty-three years.  I was born in Cleveland, Ohio.  My family moved to southern California when I was an infant, the fifth of nine children.  Since seventh grade I have resided in Kansas, North Dakota, Nebraska, and Missouri.  Now, I call Seattle, Washington home.

Just being at the beach, most any beach or lovely water location, brings me a peace that passes all understanding.  The rhythmic waves, the salty wetness, the gritty sand, invite me to oneness for brief moments before the fishy seaweed disturbs my reverie, and I find myself overlooking the sea and its gifts, returning to my jellyfish mind and visible horizon eyes.  During the five years when my children were little, I changed an average of six diapers a day, about 11,000 changes.  When they were sleeping I often gazed upon them for unrecorded amounts of time-even took pictures to preserve the peace. During the last decade, I have traveled more to places in the United States, Europe, China and South America.  I have a collection of photos taken through or leaning out windows from a cozy and comfortable hotel room.  The view out there invited me to preserve it, seemed enough for me.

Where this meandering is leading, I don't know.  I have come to learn that travel like writing is about discovery, not just of other places and people, but of self.  I have been playing it safe, staying on the shore, gazing and observing from a distance. Truth be told, I started a blog ten months ago but never published it.  Today I meandered into the public blogging world with the intention do something I love: write.  I will write with love, hope and faith in the known, unknown and unknowable, the heartful and mindful journey, to be present to self and other.  I want to embrace the muck of leg wrapping seaweed, the belly stings from the jellyfish, the many sunset shades of purple, pink, orange and red even when the clouds obscure my view.

Why now? That is no longer the question. The question is: what now?

In two weeks I will join other women who will be going to Malawi, Africa to support the mission of a nonprofit organization, VoiceFlame Writers International.  Across the sea, on another continent we will write  to connect with women through story.  With pen, pencil and paper or keyboard, I am going the distance for as long as I can breathe. Don't hold your breath, but stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful, heartfelt writing that touches my soul. After reading it I feel like I just completed my morning meditation. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete